Kentucky General Election Poll: Voters Favor Democratic Attorney General Candidate Greg Stumbo Over Bevin-McConnell-Backed Daniel Cameron
August 22, 2019
New Polling Finds Democrats Lead in Three Statewide Races
Washington, D.C.— Today, the Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) released new polling of Kentucky voters, which finds Democratic candidates lead in three statewide races surveyed. In the Attorney General’s race, the results show Democrat Greg Stumbo leading Bevin-McConnell-backed Daniel Cameron by seven points, and on the Gubernatorial ticket, Democrat Andy Beshear leads Republican incumbent Matt Bevin by nine points. The poll also indicates that Governor Matt Bevin and U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell remain deeply unpopular in Kentucky. Notably, this polling was conducted after Fancy Farm and the Republican Attorneys General Association (RAGA)’s attacks on Greg Stumbo.
“What we’re seeing is that Kentuckians are tired of Bevin and McConnell, and that it’s possible for Kentuckians to be supportive of President Trump but choose not to support Bevin, McConnell, and now McConnell’s guy Daniel Cameron” said Sean Rankin, Executive Director of the Democratic Attorneys General Association, a Kentucky native.
Commissioned by DAGA, Clarity Campaign Labs conducted a survey of registered voters in Kentucky from August 12 to August 13, 2019. The survey consisted of live calls to landlines and cell phones. The sample included 792 registered voters and was weighted to reflect a likely 2019 general electorate. A polling memo can be found here.
“As a Kentuckian with a lot family in the state, we need to make sure the people who are elected put people above politics.” added Rankin. “I have faith that Andy Beshear and Greg Stumbo will put people first.”
- Democrats lead in all three statewide races:
- Gubernatorial Race: 48% of voters say they would vote for Democrat Andy Beshear if the election were held today. 39% would vote for Republican Matt Bevin. 5% would vote for Libertarian John Hicks, and 4% remain undecided.
- Attorney General Race: 46% of voters say they would vote for Democrat Greg Stumbo if the election were held today. 39% would vote for Republican Daniel Cameron. 13% remain undecided.
- Secretary of State Race: 52% of voters say they would vote for Democrat Heather French Henry if the election were held today. 37% would vote for Republican Michael Adams. 9% remain undecided.
- Governor Matt Bevin and U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell remain deeply unpopular in Kentucky
- Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin is viewed very or somewhat unfavorably by a majority (53%) of respondents, while only 38% view him very or somewhat favorably.
- U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell is viewed very or somewhat unfavorably by a majority (56%) of respondents, while only 39% view him very or somewhat favorably.
- More Kentuckians believe the state to be on the wrong track than heading in the right direction. 45% of respondents say Kentucky is on the wrong track, while only 34% say Kentucky is heading in the right direction. 21% say it’s somewhere in the middle.